Wednesday, July 24, 2013

I'm So Excited! (2013)



Directed by: Pedro Almodovar
Written by: Pedro Almodovar
Starring: Javier Camara, Carlos Areces, Raul Arevalo, Lola Duenas, Cecilia Roth
Rated: R

Great directors are far and few in between, and I believe Almodovar is a great director. Having created a distinct and instantly recognizable style, as well as making such films as "Todo sobre mi madre" and "Volver", I suppose I can accept a man taking a break and resting on his laurels for a while. That's the case here, as "I'm So Excited!" won't be turning any heads come awards season, but it's still a fun romp around the park with a director relying on fans to let him once again show what he can bring with his hands tied behind his back.

Delving back into the hyper-stylized, campy ensemble work of his roots, Almodovar has tried to tap into what made "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" so smashingly original. Set on a commercial jet, the flamboyant cabin crew of the airline try to keep their eccentric business class calm as they learn that the plane is going to perform a crash landing. Drugging the cattle back in coach to make them fall asleep, Joserra, Fajas and Ulloa use every trick up their fabulous sleeves to make the minutes in the air as enjoyable for their demanding guests as possible.

Certainly not a plot based pic, or really even a character showcase, this is what I would call a trashy little film. But let's be clear, what is trash and what is garbage are two different monsters entirely. Having a trashy movie is not something to be ashamed of, and it does not make it a bad film. This is the type of movie that's mostly style, little substance, forgettable but amusing as hell while you're watching. I could easily have left halfway through and wouldn't have felt that I had missed a thing because the 45 minutes I did spend watching kept a smile firmly fixed on my face.

So if the film is trash, not focused on character or plot, what is left? Almodovar, of course, who is usually the life of his own parties. This sexually explosive little piece from him makes me imagine a much younger man frequenting gay clubs and showing his first short films starring Carmen Maura is some dinky backroom. When I watch this, I think that maybe all the good stuff going on in Almodovar's brain pushed some excess baggage out, and he scooped it up and stuck it on a plane.

But then I remember an interview that I read that the director gave that shed a bit more light on what was going on this film. It isn't just a story about a dominatrix, a hit man, a psychic, honeymooners, and identity-confused pilots. In the interview he stated that the movie was an allegory for the current financial and political situation in Spain. The rich and powerful cause mischief and are a general nuisance for Spain's political leaders who put on a song and dance to keep them amused. The EU flies them about in circles hoping for an open runway that they can crash into and hopefully survive, and meanwhile the masses and towed along with their eyes closed. That makes things a bit more interesting, but I promise you won't really have time to think about it when you're in the theater.

Besides, what fun is that? The film is titled "I'm So Excited!" after all. Frankly, when you cut away the blockbusters and lookalike sequels, the market is so saturated with heavy dramas that it's nice to have a little comedy with some bite. I'd much prefer to spend an evening watching what happens when a dozen neurotics are trapped together with too much alcohol and just the right amount of butt-packed drugs than I would seeing another Adam Sandler flick.

In short, I'd rather take Almodovar on a lazy day than 99% of everything else that's out there. I do hope he gets back to the stuff that has really separated him from the boys, but until then I doubt his fans will be disappointed.

2.5/4

No comments:

Post a Comment