Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Invisible Man (1933)

I remember reading The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells ages ago and being absolutely bored to tears. I'm not sure what I was reading, or perhaps R.C. Sheriff took liberties when he penned the screen adaptation of it, but this movie is awesome. Most of the time I watch old horror films for the sake of having a laugh at the campiness of it all, but like "Frankenstein" this is just solid movie making.

Following the same vein of that monster masterpiece, director James Whale has chosen material focusing on the effects of science misused. Claude Rains ("Casablanca") plays a stranger who appears from a snowstorm in a little English village. Completely bandaged, he sets himself up in a room above a pub where he conducts experiments in secret. It is soon learned by the townsfolk that he is invisible trying to make himself seen once more.

An unforeseen consequence of the drug taken to make him so is that it slowly causes the person to become violently insane. Completely disrobing, the invisible man heads out into the cold after causing mayhem in the village, where he goes on a killing spree.

The film is not as complex as Wales' other work, but though I initially thought it would simply be a showcase for the special effects used, it turns out it is also a really compelling story of madness and betrayal. William Harrigan plays Dr. Kemp, another scientist who is recruited by our specter to help with the experiments. Threatened by death, Kemp employs the help of the local authorities which turns into a massive manhunt, as we watch society slowly coming apart at the seems. One unusual man has the power to affect all of those around him.

The special effects are something really impressive. Wales certainly knows how to use smoke and mirrors to great effect. I found Rains to be far creepier with his bandages, black glasses and his tuft of fake hair, but seeing a cigarette slowly being inhaled and knowing a naked body is the one doing it is also disconcerting. Oftentimes it did not appear that everything was done with wires and I do expect that they were somehow able to find a way actually have invisible people manipulating chairs, glasses and clothes which boggles the mind. I sometimes forget that people were once able to do amazing things without the use of computers.

We really never see Rains, but even behind the gauze, or later when we only hear his voice he still does an impressive job. What we are able to see and hear him do is so expressive that it isn't necessary to see his face. It was a job very well done by the leading man.

What is truly remarkable about this is how well the film has aged. There is nothing forced or tacky about it, and I didn't feel I was watching something antiquated and boring. The deaths were frightening and the invisible man as a person made an impression on me. It is a haunting little film that made me ponder what I would do if I were in his situation (though not mad, obviously). In the end, I determined I would probably steal some beer and watch old horror movies, though unabashedly naked.

3.5/4

No comments:

Post a Comment